It is November 8th and the first holiday recipe is here! I was out grocery shopping yesterday on a mission, I was in search of ONE thing and one thing only…. HOLIDAY SPRINKLES! I was going down aisle by aisle with my eyes peeled for these festive favors! I made my way to the actually holiday aisle and passed by the Reese’s Trees, Peppermint Hershey Kisses (which I also bought *hint hint*) and the Mint Kit-Kats… I kept going a couple feet and BAMMMM! A whole section of holiday cookie cutters, frosting, and my beloved sprinkles! Mission accomplished!
I don’t know if there is a better combo than salty and sweet! My taste buds just go crazy for that combination! I took that love and turned into a FUN, FESTIVE, SPRINKLE-FILLED dessert! I present to you the Chocolate Pretzel Shortbread Bark! The bottom layer is a soft and chewy shortbread cookie, topped with a decadent dark chocolate layer sprinkled with pretzels (I used FitJoy Himalayan Sea Salt Grain-Free Pretzel Twists) and of course all the holiday sprinkles you want!
This recipe is SO simple and made with minimal ingredients that you most likely have laying around your house! The best part about these is that you can top them with ANYTHING your heart desires! You can make a peanut butter swirl, add some M&Ms, or even get wild and crazy with some potato chips! The world is your oyster babes!
Bottom Layer (Crust)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
Top Layer (Chocolate)
- 1 cup chocolate chip/chunks (I used Tony’s Chocolonely 70% dark chocolate bar)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pretzels, crushed
- any other toppings you want!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray or parchment paper (I recommend parchment paper because it is easier to take out the bars at the end)
- In a large bowl, mix all the crust ingredients until fully combined to a dough-like consistency
- Press dough into the pan and flatten with your hand or spatula until evenly spread
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Once done baking, let the crust completely cool
- While the crust is cooling, move onto making the chocolate layer
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil for 1 minute, then 30-second intervals and stir until smooth
- Pour onto cooled crust and spread evenly
- Sprinkle the crushed pretzels, sprinkles, and any other toppings over the chocolate
- Pop in the freezer for 10 minutes until chocolate has hardened
- Remove from freezer, take out of the pan by lifting the parchment paper and cut into bars or bites and ENJOY!