I’m putting the pumpkin to the side and saying hello to GINGERBREAD! There is something so warm and cozy about the flavors in gingerbread… ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg… just roll me up in those spices and i’ll be good to go! I have such an AMAZING and easy recipe coming for you guys so I am going to keep this short and sweet and get right to the recipe!
There is nothing quite like a nice, warm slice of bread with your morning coffee, as a mid-day snack or a sweet treat to end the night! This gingerbread loaf is made whole wheat flour, eggs, apple sauce, molasses, honey, spices, lots of love and topped with the dreamiest glaze! I promise your house will smell like a winter wonderland and put you immediately in the holiday spirit!
- 2 cups whole wheat or AP flour
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs large
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2-4 tsp almond milk
- 1/2-1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line 9×5 loaf with cooking spray or parchment paper (I use both so no chances of it sticking).
- In a medium bowl add flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, soda, and salt, whisk well to combine.
- In another bowl whisk eggs and add applesauce, molasses, honey, oil and vanilla; whisk until mixed well.
- Pour into a bowl with dry ingredients and mix with a spatula gently, just enough to combine or until you see no more white flour pockets. Do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off for 1 hour.
- Make glaze and pour over top of loaf